The Casina del Vescovo – In 1996 Andrea, Agata and Salvatore Di Gregorio decided to increase the quality standard of the family winery, and designed the renovation of the vineyards and building a new winery. It was then purchased and renovated the farm of “Casina del Vescovo” which for the position, to the centrality and proximity compared to vineyards is still considered to be the optimal solution.
The Casina del vescovo (in english “Bishop’s little house”), was the summer residence of the Episcopal Curia of Mazara del Vallo in the late 1800 ‘s. It is located in contrada Santa Maria – Serroni and insists on a fenced-in area of about 18,000 square meters in the same little House occupies an area of 340 square feet. The ground floor consists of an entrance hall and several rooms including a small chapel decorated with frescoes. In the side walls of the chapel are frescoes depicting biblical scenes while the central part is depicted an arc with the center column with the image of “Christ crucified “.
Originally the frescoes were painted by Prof. Boscarino, a painter from Mazara well known in the late 19th century. Next to the chapel there is still rustic kitchen with a wood-fired oven and a small room which was used as a canteen and, under the floor of the kitchen, there is a cistern for collecting rainwater. In front there is a large living room, a tasting room and a service where there are still signs of the ancient bath.
Upstairs there is the residential area which has a cross-shaped arrangement and in which there are four rooms, each distinct from different colors, just as it was at the origin. The entire floor of this plan has been kept intact as a large terrace also gives a beautiful view into the inner square of the winery and the surrounding area. Historically, we know that one of the Bishops who lived there was Sua Ecc. Mons. Antonino Maria Saeli Bishop of Mazara del Vallo 1888-1906, in fact in the chapel is intact its coat of arms.
All restoration work of the Casina del vescovo were made by skilled craftsmen using materials appropriate to the recovery of the original structure. In charm and in connection with the curia found perfect conditions in which a new winery, paying particular attention to the architectural aspect of the existing building, totally immersed in the middle of an olive grove. Currently the “casina” is used for the reception and administrative offices of the winery.
title : The Casina del Vescovo
updated : March 3rd, 2017